Saturday 29 November 2014

timed assessment as the hair stylist

Hair assessment as the hair stylist
In the five minutes set up time, I made sure I followed the health and safety rules and regulations, which included hair being tied back, bags and coats away, hands washed thoroughly and an jewellery was removed.
I then made sure I was prepared to create my partners final hair design this meant making sure I had all the correct equipment I needed, the tutorials , sketches and inspirations for her idea were taped to the mirror in order for me to see them clearly and also that my mirror lights were on, On the day unfortunately only one of the bulbs were working, but I made sure Lottie was aware of this during the assessment.
The next thing I made sure of was that my partner was happy, I also made sure she was wearing a cape in order to carry out her hair design and also made sure the chair she was sat on was at a suitable height in order for me to carry out her design .
Once the five minutes preparation time was finished I then had an hour and a half to create my partners design. I firstly started by sectioning my partners hair , using my fine tooth comb I  create a section in which was the same length as the padding which would be secured to my partners head.
In my partners design on either sides of her head she requested two braids which would then be incorporated into a fishtail plait, therefore using my fine tooth comb I took into consideration creating four small sections for the braids which were even. When sectioning my partners hair I also had to take into consideration the fact that she was wearing clip in extensions which she requested to be in the design, when sectioning the hair I therefore also had to resituate where the clip In extensions were placed in order for them to be hidden.
Once I had sectioned my partners hair I then started by creating the four braids either side of the head. My partner also requested lace to be weaved through the braids, so each section of hair which was going to be braided I sectioned into three even sections and tied the lace onto the middle section of hair in order to secure the fabric in place then I began to braid the hair taking into consideration that the sections were even in order for the design to look neat, once the section of hair was half braided, taken into consideration the act that my partner wanted the braids incorporated into a fishtail plait I then secured the braid with a hair tie   . I carried out this process four times in order for my partner to have four braids two either side of her head.
Next I then section a small part of the section which would cover the padding and began to create a horizontal braid across the hair which would act as an anchor and hold the padding securely in place. Once I had create the braid across the back of the hair I secured it in place using several hair pins. Next I pierced the padding using several hair pins and anchored them into the braid securing the rats in place.
I then crimped the section of hair which would be used to cover the rats using the crimpers and my fine tooth comb in order to make sure the section of hair was crimped evenly and also to avoid burning my partners scalp, I then slightly backcombed the roots of the section I had crimped in order to create more volume and then used the hair to cover the rats and secured it in place using several hair pins.
Once the rats were in place I sectioned the remaining hair at the back of the head into two sections and created a fish tail plait which I also incorporated the two braids from either side of the head into . I create the fish tail plait by taking a small section of hair from one of the two sections and overlaid the hair overtop of the other section. I carried out this process until a prominent fish tail plait appeared in the hair .
Once I had created the fishtail plait the next thing I had to think about was taking the fringe of my partners forehead this was generally quite difficult due to my partners fringe being short, in order to take the fringe off the face I used the crimpers to create volume and used my brush to scrap the hair back into my partners design. Once the fringe was off my partners face I then secured it in place using hair spray.
Finally to my partner’s design I had to situate a jewelled headband and pearls over the padding and into the hair, I kept reverting back to the mirror in order to make sure the headband was straight. By my partner requesting a jewelled headband in her design this also helped to keep the fringe from falling back onto her face.
During my assessment i took several photographs, a side view of my partners hair and the back of my partners hair .






Hair evaluation
During and throughout the hair assessment, I felt as the artist I managed my time well, and was  generally happy with the final outcome. The things I felt I carried out successfully were weaving the lace through the braids without it looking untidy and also incorporating the braids into the fishtail plait. 
For my partners design in the hair assessment she wore clip in hair extensions in order for her hair to be a suitable length for her  design, I felt I was able to manage sectioning the hair well and was also able to successfully disguise the clips from the hair extensions in order for my partners design to look tidy.
Even though, I was satisfied with the outcome I feel there was a couple of amendments  I could have made, one being taking into consideration how the beads were on tops of the hair were situated , although it looked effective from the front of the hair I felt viewing the beading from the back looked untidy and insecure, in order for this to have worked  feel I could have secured the beading underneath the padding at the back of the head.
Another thing I feel I could have improved was the placement of the padding, although there was a suitable amount of height gained I feel if I moved the padding forward slightly this could have helped to hold my partners fringe which I had to hairspray back off the face in place more securely.




No comments:

Post a Comment